Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Letter to Rocky's Crown Pub

Owner
Rocky’s Crown Pub
3786 Ingraham Street
San Diego, California 92109

Phone: (858) 273-9140

Dear Sir or Madam:

I visited your pub on April 18, 2009 (Saturday afternoon), which was my third trip there. The pub was full, so I had a beer and waited for a table to open up. Once one did, my friend and I ordered from the shortest menu in town: 1/3 pound hamburger or cheeseburger, 1/2 pound hamburger or cheeseburger, French fries.

We both ordered the 1/2 pound cheeseburger and fries. Although the bartender didn’t ask how we wanted them cooked and my friend who ordered for us didn’t specify, the burgers were brought out cooked to a perfect medium. I always order burgers medium because I think medium is the right way to cook a burger. So, I was seriously impressed that Rocky’s cooks them that way as their standard, without even asking. I have been to too many restaurants and burger joints that cook a burger well done that is specifically ordered medium (a personal pet peeve of mine; if I didn’t like the taste of beef, I would have ordered the burger well done).

Simply said, the burgers were great. They were served with sliced, raw red onion, lettuce and tomato (underneath the patty) and pickles on top of the top bun. Ketchup and mustard were served on the side. The patties were thick (about an inch and a half), seared and peppery on the outside, with a warm pink center and dripping with juices. Although I used the pickle and lettuce, and removed the onion and tomato, the toppings were totally unnecessary. All I needed was the beef, melted, sliced American cheese and a bun.

The burger juices literally ran down my face and onto the basket as I ate. The last bite was the best. It just had beef, cheese and bun and seemed to contain as much juice as the rest of the burger altogether. Rocky’s has mastered the art of greasy: not greasy in a bad or fast food way, just good old-fashioned, gut-bombingly wonderful, like a burger you might have had at home growing up.

Needless to say, my friend and I were both full. I even left a few fries in my basket. The fries were good, not over or undercooked, and had the right amount of salt, but I think anyone who’s been to Rocky’s knows that it’s all about the burgers.

We also tried the Rocky’s Pale Ale (house brew; draft pitcher is $15) and liked it very much. It was a traditional pale ale, very flavorful and didn’t taste too strongly of hops (which is unfortunately becoming more common in micro brews). Like the food menu, the draft list is short and sweet: I recall only Coors Light, Budweiser, Bud Light, Miller Light, Heineken, Widmer Hefeweizen, Stella Artois and the house pale. Although I enjoyed the beer I had, I do occasionally like to have something stronger. Since Rocky’s is beer and wine only, I probably wouldn’t go there for a night of drinking, but it is a great spot for a few beers and a great burger.

I also plan to come back sometime for your lunch special (Monday through Friday from 11:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m.), which is a great deal: 1/3 pound cheeseburger, fries and a soda or domestic pint for $9.75.

After my trips to Rocky’s, it’s obvious why you’re always busy on the weekend. It’s nothing like most of the bars in PB: no Cosmos, no SDSU girls wearing glitter and saying “totally” or “oh my God” every ten seconds and no one trying to act cool or tough. Rocky’s is a true neighborhood bar with competitive prices (the huge burger and fries were under $10 and the pints were under $5). I wish there were more places like it in San Diego.

Yours Very Truly,

San Diego Restaurant Review

No comments: