Monday, April 20, 2009

Letter to Point Loma Seafoods

Owner
Point Loma Seafoods
2805 Emerson Street
San Diego, California 92106

Phone: (619) 223-1109

Dear Sir or Madam:

Point Loma Seafoods is my favorite fish market as well as my favorite place in San Diego to have an unpretentious seafood meal. Everything on the menu is as fresh as the fish in the case. I have been going to Point Loma Seafoods for years and have tried many different menu items. I always find the food to be perfectly cooked, well dressed or seasoned and your seafood is always served at its freshest and most flavorful.

All of your sandwiches are special and served on the best sourdough bread in San Diego, a perfect complement to such flavorful seafood. The toothy crust on the bread fights back just enough when you bite it.

I love the Tuna Sandwich. It is simple and straightforward but is still the best tuna sandwich I’ve ever had. The sliced sourdough, chunk tuna and house-made tartar sauce need nothing else, except a cold beer from your great draft beer selection.

I thought my favorite sandwich of yours was the Crab Cake Sandwich until I tried the Crab Sandwich. The Crab Cake Sandwich adds two perfectly cooked lump crab cakes with your sliced sourdough and tartar sauce. The lump crab is sweet and succulent, not weighed down with too much breading or filler. The crab meat is best, though, when in its simplest form, which is clear from the first bite of your Crab Sandwich. I was unsure when first ordering it because I thought the crab meat and tartar sauce might be too basic. That simplicity, however, is what makes the sandwich great. In fact, the hallmark of your sandwiches is that the seafood is always featured and never disguised.

Even the fried foods, including the fried Fish Sandwich and Onion Rings, are flavorful without being greasy or overpowered by the batter. The fish is light, flaky and moist with a perfectly crisp crust. While onion rings are my guilty pleasure, I’m often disappointed when I order them at restaurants. Yours are the exception. The light, flavorful batter adheres to the onions, allowing for perfect bites throughout.

Both of your Chowders, Red and White, are traditional, well seasoned and have good clam flavor. The White Chowder, with its rich, creamy broth, is full of large pieces of fresh clam and perfectly tender potato. The Red, with its zesty tomato broth, is equally good. Although both are served with oyster crackers, the additional charge for the sourdough bowl ($2.53) is well worth the money.

Your sushi is always fresh and cut from the finest quality fish. It is better to order directly from the sushi chef, rather than buying the packaged sushi in the case, but the packaged sushi is still extremely fresh.

I would rather stand at your counter and wait for a simple sandwich than go to just about any high-end seafood restaurant in the city because I’m assured great, fresh, simply prepared seafood. It also helps that I can eat a full meal at Point Loma Seafoods for under $10. San Diego is a town where mediocre, overpriced seafood restaurants are a dime a dozen. This is unfortunate because many people who live here are effectively priced out of experiencing our wonderful local seafood. I think it’s great that there’s still a place in this city of tourism where a working person can afford to have fresh, locally caught seafood. Thanks for caring.

Yours Very Truly,

San Diego Restaurant Review


http://www.pointlomaseafoods.com/

No comments: