Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Letter to Rickshaw Corner Chinese restaurant

Owner/Manager
Rickshaw Corner
10428 Clairemont Mesa Boulevard
San Diego, California 92124

Phone: (858) 541-1998

Dear Sir or Madam:

I am writing regarding the meal I ate delivered from Rickshaw Corner Chinese restaurant on April 14, 2009. I regret to say that I was very disappointed by my meal. Unfortunately, the food at your restaurant was like almost all Chinese food I have had in San Diego: thoughtless, lazy, pre-made, bland, greasy, and improperly cooked.

I ordered General Tso’s chicken. The breading was so thick that the chicken resembled misshapen corn dogs. The chicken itself was overcooked. The breading was sopping wet with grease. The broccoli was raw throughout, except where it had been briefly burned at the top of the florets. The sauce was gooey, syrupy and far too sweet.

The soup that accompanied the meal had an unpleasant flavor that I could not place. The broth was thick to the point of being gelatinous. The egg rolls and crab wontons that also came with the meal were better than the soup and entrée. However, the egg rolls were obviously pre-made (ordered-in frozen) and simply fried to order. I can only assume the same is true with the wontons. Although they were the stars of the meal, I could have driven to Vons and bought better frozen egg rolls and wontons.

Lastly, my dining companion’s curry chicken was bland, overcooked and runny.

I am and always will be a lover of Chinese food. I believe China is home to the mother food culture from which all modern cooking technique at least partly derives. Therefore, it is always disappointing to me to see Chinese food disserved the way most American Chinese restaurants do, which is particularly common here in San Diego.

Granted, I didn’t exactly order an authentic Chinese dish, but that is no reason for the food to be prepared as poorly as it was. Altogether, our dinner cost approximately $25 (sodas included). I would have been better off going to Panda Express and spending $5.99.


http://rickshawcorner.com/

No comments: